Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Incubate Interview

Earlier this week I had an interview for an article for Incubate magazine, the in-house magazine for COFA. The interviewer was the always fabulous Dominique Angeloro, half of artist duo Soda_Jerk, and former art reviewer for The Sydney Morning Herald (amongst other art-related activities).

The interview covered my involvement in the Tamworth Fibre Textile Biennial, and my soon-to-be-released book, two topics I’m waiting for the right moment to write about here, as well as my art practice in general. I had suggested the article to the editors of the magazine because of the involvement of a number of COFA graduates and staff in this year’s biennial. The magazine is part of the marketing of COFA to the community by showing the activities of alumni, current students, and staff. There’s always a slight frisson of anxiety being interviewed because I have no control over the final result. One doesn’t know what the writer is going to make of the hour of conversation, or how she’ll distill that into 500-1000 words. Not that I think I’m going to be attacked in print or anything, but interpretation of a conversation is obviously as subjective as interpretation of an artwork. Anyway, in lieu of any other art-related activities this week, I thought I’d post some of my previous press forays.

This first one was in The Daily Telegraph. I know I didn't have very complimentary things to say about the Tele in a previous post, but that's only when I'm not in it... This was about my search for socks from people for an installation for my MFA. The article was by Elizabeth Fortescue, Oct. 1., 2004.

This one was in TheHerald Sun , a Melbourne newspaper, when I had a show at MARS Gallery in 2005. It's by Harbant Gill, Mar. 21.


This one was before my show at MARS had opened. The model is wearing the kimono that was part of the installation. It's also from The Herald Sun, Mar. 9, but no writer listed.


This is from Textile Fibre Forum magazine, and was written by Richard Allport. It was a look at some people involved with the COFA Textile department. My work is the hair weaving at the top of the page. This is also from 2005.


I can't tell if these are large enough to read. Would anyone be reading them anyway? I can provide a transcript if anyone is really keen. I also have a number of other articles, but not digitized and handy. If there's a clamour for them, or if I'm having a slow news week, then they'll make an appearance!

No comments: