Thursday, April 30, 2009

More Burnt Globe Works

These burnt globes were first made when I was working with wire cages. It was an accidental discovery that I then used for a number of years. For a sculpture class, I made a series of the globes that were tied with hair, and which had salt dried on them. I then hung them in a few places around the campus, with different configurations and different numbers. These works are collectively known as Comfortably Numb:


I had been working with chopsticks for awhile and decided to combine the two elements. The first work I made was called Hanoi Hilton. I conflated a couple of memories I had about the Vietnam War (umm, not personal memories... From TV and movies.), but particularly a scene from The Deer Hunter where someone is kept in a bamboo cage and then submerged in water. I don't think this was anywhere near the actual Hanoi Hilton where they also tortured prisoners, but the ideas merged for me:

This one is Hanoi Hilton II. It's the same idea, but the lines have become cleaner and more ordered:

I tried a few different configurations on the same theme:

No comments: