Thursday, January 29, 2009

More textile works

Here are some more textile works, all unexhibited, and all unique. I once had a lot more time in my life to experiment with different materials and techniques! The first is a weaving of a feather boa. I had bought it years before for the feathers for use with wire works, I think. It then sat in storage for years. I eventually decided to weave it. This is about 50x50cm.


I made this at the same time as the Some People series (and the boa weaving was also made on the same warp). It's a honecomb, or waffle weave, often seen in textiles around the home like tea towels and baby blankets! Not usually made from socks, as this is. It, too, is about 50x50cm. It looks different to normal waffle-weave textiles because my warp thread is a thin mercerized cotton, and the weft is thick cut-up socks, so the same square pattern isn't as obvious (usually the warp and weft threads would be the same yarn).


This is a small (10x10cm?) experiment. It's a completely darned textile. There's no warp or weft, just threads going under and over each other to fill up space. I'd like to try this on a larger scale, but this small piece took ages to make and lots of yarn, so not good if time poor!

This was a felting experiment, one of only a few pieces I made. The trouble is it doesn't offer much conceptually for me to present it as an artwork, and it's too thick and wide for a scarf, not big enough to be a wrap, let alone a rug, so it's not really anything! Maybe a table runner? The white thread is a wool, and the various brown yarns are wool, acrylic, and linen. After weaving, I felted the piece by washing it in hot soapy water so that the wool threads contracted in on each other. The non-wool threads haven't felted, and form small pockets and textures over the surface of the piece. This is from about 2002.

This is a rare non-woven textile piece. It's a crochet "coral" piece. It was a technique which I developed myself, but which I later found all over the place (See the Crochet Hyperbolic Coral reef Project).

No comments: