Thursday, October 16, 2008

Helen Lempriere Winner

There seems to be a lot of interest in the Helen Lempriere Travelling Art Scholarship winner. Despite being rejected for the exhibition, I went to the opening last night at Artspace. A pretty good survey of the contemporary art scene: A series of small, themed, but rather messy paintings? Tick!; a big sculptural piece, preferably kinetic? Tick!; a really big drawing that's like a high-school students notebook? Tick! (actually, that one I liked, and it's by my friend Clare Milledge, but I digress...); lots of video work? Tick! I predicted that the winner would involve a video work, and no surprise, Diego Bonetto's winning entry indeed included a video component (not necessarily the main point of the work, but there none-the-less). Predictably, but depressingly, 90% of HLTAS winners include a video component. So much seems to be written about the diversity of contemporary art, but the same stuff keeps turning up in contemporary survey exhibitions. (Hmmm...I think it's those sour grapes again...)

2 comments:

Superdrewby said...

Whilst I understand the need for Contempary art to include diverse meedia, it just feels art for the sake of art to include video.

It's just so transitory. If I buy something withvideo, will I be abel to play it / sell it in 50 years? Probably not so it just becomes an incactive piece of art....

Rodney Love said...

You'll want to offload it for a profit before the technology is obsolete...