Sunday, October 26, 2008

Paintings for Drew

This post, which has taken me ages to put together because of all the resizing and rearranging I had to do, is about one series of paintings that I made for my friend Drew in exchange for a website. A website? you ask. Yes, I had it for about 5 years until a couple of years back. I think it got superseded by blog technology. This forum gives me much more freedom with the combination of text and image. Anyway, I made 21 small panels with various (painted) collage elements which have been combined (not by me) like so:



I can't remember off the top of my head what year these were made. Late 20th century? Nor do I recall if they have a title. No doubt all the details are on the back of the panels (along with paint brands and colour names for future reference).

Anyway, there have been issues regarding the appropriateness of some of the images for living room display, specifically these ones:


Here's how the other 15 might look without them (this post has a lot of padding...):


So what I'm working on now are 6 replacement panels for the contentious works. After that I'll be continuing to work on more paintings so that I can use up a number of panels and canvases that I've accumulated over the years, and experiment with a number of different techniques and ideas that have been percolating for awhile.

Here are all 21 panels for your viewing pleasure:

No comments: