Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Just what is it that makes today's boys so different, so appealing?

This is a photographic series which I wrote about last year when the Bill Henson naked children controversy flared up. I showed 4 of the images there. Here's the complete series. The series' title is Just What Is It That Makes Today’s Boys So Different, So Appealing? (of course referencing the title of Richard Hamilton’s famous collage). I cropped snapshots of junior high school students from Japan to focus on certain individuals. Here's what I wrote before: "It consists of close-up shots of Japanese students I knew when I lived in Japan. There is nothing sexual about the photos, just snapshots, but the title instantly evokes paedophilic desire. The work was meant to draw attention to the way that paedophiles (or indeed any paraphiliacs) can use images for purposes other than those for which they were intended (for example, collecting advertisements of children in pyjamas, or as David Marr mentioned on Insight, foot fetishists watching The Sound of Music for the scenes where the von Trapps run around in bare feet!)."





















This is an installation shot from the Kudos show where I showed them (20 of the 21 photos) years ago:

No comments: