Saturday, September 26, 2009

Liverpool City Art Prize Entry

The Liverpool City Art Prize entries are closing Friday, October 2. I'm entering a series of paintings. I've been working on these for awhile. I had 5 paintings planned, but have only finished the 4 which I'm entering. I wanted to show the whole series when I finish the last one, so for this post I'm showing preparatory sketches for the paintings.

The first one is a work I showed here when I included it in a Match Box Project show. It's called The Artist Renounces His Decadent Profession.


This work is He's a Rebel.

This work changed from the sketch, mainly because I thought the writing was too small to paint. It's a reworking of a quote from Jenny Holzer (Abuse of power comes as no surprise). Even though the quote is not in the painting, the title is still Abuse of Children Comes as no Surprise.

This is, not surprisingly, Curb Your Animal Instincts.


The four works above are the ones for which I have completed paintings. The one below is still in progress. The title, Scouting for Boys, is also a book by Robert Baden-Powell, the founder of the Scouts movement. No-one seems to have noticed the ambiguity of the title at the time.

No comments: