Saturday, September 5, 2009

Hair dolls reconfigured

This post features combinations of the human hair and wire dolls that I've shown in a couple of earlier posts (here and here). The dolls are all individual, but I liked to show them in groups. Often there was a theme of atrocity and mass murder, but sometimes it was just about injustice done to individuals and groups by those with power. This first work was made around the time of the East Timor killings. I think there were reports of mass graves. The burnt and broken box was meant to suggest both a coffin, and a burnt-out building. You look in through the holes and come across these "dead bodies" lying in a pile. The title was If You Want to Die in Bed, Don't Care too Much for Country, I think. It's a lyric from a song from Miss Saigon, and the idea is that it's better to flee and live than fight for independence and die.


I think these next couple of piles of dolls were all called If You Want to Die in Bed... I found a box of white tiles on the street and used those underneath to attempt a cold, clinical feel.








This installation of the dolls is from the Furr exhibition. The title is Was It Worth It? It's about winning at all costs...


I called this arrangement Fall of the Rebel Angels. This was the Suspect Packages show.


This was another arrangement of Fall of the Rebel Angels. This was from my solo show Hate and Envy and Crime and Darkness and Pain at Kudos Gallery.



No comments: